... Beat the Cold While Looking Chic with a Coat!
If you're clueless about what type of womens coats you want to wear this fall/winter season, then this page is for you! Get tips on what coat styles that flatter your body figure and how to style your coats.
Courtesy of ASOS
In this Shopping & Style Guide to Womens Coats you'll find:
- What to look for in a high quality coat so that you can wear it the next season and hopefully a couple of more seasons after that. Think of buying a coat as a long-term investment.
- Timeless coat styles that you can never go wrong with and can be worn season and after season. Examples are trench and pea coat, wool and parka coat.
- How to select the best coat for your body type and avoid the frumpy-lumpy look
- Shopping recommendations and buying tips on the latest coat styles
Anna, I don't have time!
Take me straight to the shopping & fashion tips for coats!
Your coats are going to get worn a lot so it's super-important to find a high quality coat that:
- Looks good on you (your body shape and height)
- Can handle the weather and the daily and frequent wear
This page has all the tips and strategies to help you select the perfect coat!
In the cold, your coat will be all that people can see, so you could be wearing your frumpy pajama underneath without anyone knowing!
But whether a stylish outfit is hiding under there or not, making sure it flatters your body figure creates a good first (fashion) impression. This is a great way to look stylish in the cold climate - and adding accessories such as scarves, hats, handbags, boots and even gloves, makes you stand out from the crowd of boring black and gray coats!
Now, you don't have to look like a marshmallow to stay warm in the cold. Really! So those puffed coats that make you look like a sausage aren't your only option.
There are plenty of practical and stylish coat styles that will help you look fab!
How to Shop for Jackets & Coats
There are a couple of strategies that will help you select a coat that looks good on you and that will give you more for your money. Getting the right length is especially crucial if you're petite. This page provides you with tips on what length, shape, colors and details that complement your body figure (and height!).
You'll also discover:
- What jacket and coat styles to invest in
- How to choose the best style for your body figure
- How to create a fashion statement with a coat or jacket
Learn how to get most out of your Jackets & Coats »
Womens Trench Coatst
If you want a coat that will stand the test of time then a trench coat might be it.
The trench is a classic fall piece - you'll look chic and well-dressed in an instant! Two timeless colors you can never go wrong with are beige/sand and black. But a dark navy blue is just as classic.
Chic's Guide to Womens Trench Coats »
Looking for a specific coat style, brand or topic?
Search for it here:
Back to Top
How to Buy a Coat
If you want to get the most out of your money, I recommend that you first secure solid-colored and simple coats that can be worn with the rest of your wardrobe.
High quality coats ain't cheap so getting the basic essentials ensures you that won't have to buy new ones every season!
Examples are: Trench or pea coat neutrals such as black, dark brown, dark blue, charcoal grey or white/cream. These colors go with everything!
Another important factor to keep in mind when buying a coat is your body shape and height. Understanding the proportions of your body helps you find the right coat length and style.
The most flattering length of coat length that works on all most body shapes extends down to just below the thickest part of your thigh. This is super important to remember if you're petite - because longer hemlines can make you look shorter and wider.
The above the knee length shows off your legs and make you look taller and leaner - a big-ticket if you have short legs! If you’re average to tall then your height can handle longer hemlines.
More coat buying tips:
Courtesy of Isabella Oliver
- For a flattering look, choose a coat that extends down to just above your knees or shorter. Longer coats can overwhelm you (unless you're tall and slim!)
- To save money, make sure to buy
high quality coats that are versatile in color and design, which can be worn for years to come.
Neutral colors such as black, white, cream and brown go with everything!
- If you live in an area where winter months are tough, wear a womens coat that closes tight with buttons, snaps or a zipper.
Double-breast and belted wool coats are your best bets
- Much of our body heat is lost around the head and neck (the area which is highly sensitive towards cold weather) so
if you get easily cold, make sure it has a hood that firmly closes around your head. Or something that has
- Add a splash of color on gloomy and rainy days by wearing a raincoat in purple, yellow or red
Click here to learn more about how to select and wear coats »
More Shopping & Chic Inspiration at the TCF Blog:
Also check out the Style Makeover Shop!
Back to Top
Style Guides & Quick Links:
Leave Shopping & Style Guide to Womens Coats and Return to Homepage