Spring Summer Fashion Trends
Your Closet's Spring and Summer Fashion Essentials
- S/S fashion trends that never go out of style
After months of cold and gloomy days, the Spring Summer Fashion Trends will light up your closet - making it fun, carefree and not least refreshing. The flowing skirt of a dress, shorter hemlines, beautiful floral prints, exotic flair, bright and happy colors.. the S/S trends make it worthwhile while we're waiting for the winter to end!
There are some Spring/Summer Fashion Trends that come and go, but others are here to stay. These trends never go out of style and are considered to be your closet essentials for the warmer season.
Together we're going to take a look at these pieces – the Trendessentials for Spring & Summer that stand the test of time and never get out of style! These essentials are what you would want to put most of your S/S closet budget on.
Transition from Summer to Fall
Many of S/S essentials are great for the summer-to-fall transition, such as a pair of denim shorts that can be worn with black tights and knit sweater.
Here is an example:
Take your cute floral top and casual denim shorts and pair them with Fall's black cardigan and ballerina flats. And throw in a pair of black tights when it gets chilly outside.
Even some "fancy" styles such as floral and ethnic prints can be multiplied in outfits by wearing them as the focal point along with lots of Fall basics.
How to Shop for Spring Summer Fashion Trends Essentials
But first let's look at how we can shop the S/S essentials with strategy:
- Know how you want to update your wardrobe by creating a Wardrobe Plan
- Secure the clothes in your best neutrals (black, brown, beige, white, greys, etc.) first before buying them in bright summer colors that may be harder to match the next season. To save money, focus on adding color and trendy details as accents to the neutrals.
- On the flip side, don't be afraid to buy clothes in bright and a tad difficult to mix and match color. As long as you know that the colors that can be recycled next summer. A colorful floral dress has all the bells and whistles for summer, and can also be worn next season.
- Your most expensive Spring/Summer fashion trends essentials should be something you can bring with you throughout the fall transition. Examples are denim shorts, jackets and leather purses.
Now let's get ready to prep up your closet for happier days!
Secure the basic Wardrobe Essentials along with these Spring/Summer indispensables and you and your closet will be best friends for many years to come :-)
Note: The point is not to buy everything on the list, but rather pinpoint the pieces that never go out of style and give you ideas on how to build your wardrobe for the season. They're also items you can splurge on without feeling guilty!
Back to Top
Spring/Summer Fashion Trends Essentials: Clothes
You can never go wrong with:
- Dress shorts (tailored style, also known as "Bermudas" or City Shorts")
- Denim shorts
- Lightweight cotton skirts
- Print skirts, such as tribal, floral and paisley
- Cargo Pants
- The White Summer Dress
- Cotton shirt tunics and and dresses
- Denim Jacket (switch to a denim or lightweight and soft Chambray shirt when the scorching days are approaching)
- Maxi dress
- Basic tank tops
- White pants
Do you have a big budget? Get bored easily? Live in a all-year-around warm climate? Secure them in multiple colors and styles!
Save money by experimenting with how many of these timeless F/W pieces you can combine together into several outfits.
Also take the F/W fashion trends essentials into account! Check out my ensemble tips in the Outfit Ideas-section.
Back to Top
Spring/Summer Fashion Trends Essentials: Accessories
Budget-proof your closet with:
- Cork wedge sandals
- Neutral leather flat sandals
- Casual white sneakers (simple Keds in slip-on and/or lace style, or classic Converse Chucks)
- Ballerina flats
- Cross body leather purse
- Skinny belts (help keep your loose-fitted tunic shirt well-put)
- Nature inspired jewelry
- Straw hat
- Clutch purse (great for your evening wear)
- Lightweight chiffon and cotton scarves
- Leggings (when you want to wear pants but don't want sweaty butt cheeks)
Secure these in neutrals first to help balance out and tone down a trendy outfit (eg. colorful print dress).
After securing the basics, get them in timeless summer colors (turquoise, coral, etc.) so that you can spruce up your boring basics. A turquoise necklace or a pair of turquoise sandals looks amazing with a white sun dress!
Back to Top
Spring/Summer Fashion Trends Essentials: Fabrics and Textures
"Lighten up" your outfit with:
- Woven cotton
- Silk (for colder spring and summer months)
- Light-hued denim (you can never go wrong with light blue denim for the summer!)
- White lace
Create an interesting outfit cocktail by mixing 2 or 3 different textures together.
An example is to pair lace shorts with a chiffon shirt along with a woven-textured bag.
Or light blue denim jeans with a lace top and a silk scarf.
Back to Top
Spring/Summer Fashion Trends Essentials: Prints
Your wardrobe needs a little bit of interest with:
- Polka dots
- Navy stripes
- Ethnic (Ikat, native Indian, tribal, etc.)
Build your outfit around one of the prints - or mix and match basic navy stripes or polkadots with floral or ethnic prints for a fun look! Learn more how to mix and match prints
Back to Top
Spring/Summer Fashion Trends Essentials: Colors
Inject some color fever with:
- Tomato Red
- Neutrals (nudes and browns)
Styling tip: Wear these as accents to a neutral outfit, select a bright color to create your outfit's focal point, or simply wear them monochromatically (eg. white shirt, nude shorts, brown sandals, cream pearl jewelry)! :-)
A lot of the Spring and Summer fashion trends colors are mostly suited for warm skin tones. However if you're cool-toned (Winter, Summer) a little bit of tan or bronzed face will help your sunkissed coloring adjust to the warm color. They won't look fantastic you like on Autumns and Springs, but they look better with a bit of tan than no tan at all.
You can also stick to the colors from your personal color palette, and rather add the warm Spring/Summer colors as accents, like for example a bag, belt or shoes. Or you can also wear your best cool neutrals to "cool down" a warm color.
Click here to learn more about finding and wearing your best colors
Back to Top
Latest Spring/Summer Fashion Trends
Want to become a fashionista and keep up with the current fashion trends? Then subscribe to Chic Fashion News
and you'll receive a monthly newsletter with goodies such as quick-reports on the latest trends, styling tricks & outfit inspiration, alerts on the hottest
online deals & steals, and more! Anything valuable that will keep your style ever-fresh :-)
More Shopping & Chic Inspiration at the TCF Blog:
Also check out the Style Makeover Shop!
Back to Top
Jump Back to Guide to Buying & Wearing the Current Fashion Trends
Leave Spring & Summer Fashion Trends & Closet Essentials and Return to Homepage