Spring Summer 2012 Trend: All-White
by Anna Villaruel
(Seoul, South Korea)
May 16, 2012: Fashion designers have been all out for the total black-and-grey look for winter, so now it’s time to switch the table with a head-to-toe white look. And nothing says summer like wearing all white!
Courtesy of: Nina Ricci SS 2012 RTW (left) - Celebutopia (center) - The Style Visitor (right)
Some of the timeless fashion icons like Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy Onassis are remembered for their ultra-chic head-to-toe white ensembles, and now is the time to experiment with the similar outfit to keep your style light and airy for the warmer season.
This look can be adjusted to your personal style.
Go for a romantic vibe with ruffles and sheers; or do it the Alexander Wang-way with clean lines and structure silhouette.
Get the Look:
Product info: Pants - Blazer - Tank top - Sandals - Clutch
How to wear a head-to-toe white outfit
One of the chic’est ways to sport this summer trend is to choose white-colored garments in various textures and details to give your outfit depth and interest.
For example, mix linen with lace, leather with knit or ruffles with white denim.Let me give some fashion tips and ideas on how to pull off this look:
- Give your outfit a pop of color by wearing one piece of accessory in one of this season’s bold colors such as orange, coral or bright blue. Try a combo of a white cotton sun dress and a pair of orange espadrille wedge sandals. Or how about combining a white shirt and denim jeans outfit with a statement necklace in coral pink?
Keep in mind that the head-to-toe white canvas will really bring out any colors worn against it, so make sure the accessory is worn on a place you don’t mind bringing attention to.
- Want to go subtle? Mix various garment textures, or experiment with different nuances of white or similar to it such as pastels and nudes (think Monochromatic. Or how about going for a light and heavenly-inspired ensemble with your best neutrals like silver, gold, earthy browns and greens?
- No need to splurge on this trend. Dig out last year’s white denim jeans and pair them with your trusted casual shirt or classic Breton navy-striped top for a cool city look. You can also update previous summer’s must-have and closet essential white sun dress with the latest accessories and colors!
- Yes, white is a light color that expands and highlights. But a head-to-toe white monochromatic look can also raise your height and counter the widening effect.
As long as you keep your all-white outfit free from contrasting horizontal details (ie. a belt in a dark color) then you’ll be fine. But you might want to work with accessories to elongate and slim your silhouette. For example, a pair of fun earrings or a statement necklace encourage the eye to climb up on your body and raise your height. And you can’t go wrong with high heels for summer either ;-)
- Select the right shade of white for your coloring. In general: Stark whites look best on Winters; pure or soft on Summers; ivory and cream on Autumns and Springs. If you don't want to be limited by what whites you can wear, include jewelry in your best colors or wear the "bad" white from your waist down. Click here to learn more about what colors suit you
Have fun! :-)
More Shopping & Chic Inspiration at the TCF Blog:
Also check out the Style Makeover Shop!
Back to Top