"How to Wear & Style Pencil Skirts"
A pencil skirt is quite versatile - and with the right accessories and styling, you can easily transform it from a plain librarian look into something more chic and fun.
Courtesy of JCrew
What I really love about this type of skirt is that it's flexible enough to team up with most types of tops and shoes. Especially a simple black pencil skirt which can be worn as a part of a conservative office work outfit or for parties - or with your casual denim shirt!
Looking for the latest pencil skirts and want to shop instead?
You can dress it up for work or parties, or dress it down for casual everyday wear. Just put on your sophisticated dress shirt at daytime and take it off and put on a slouchy tee and you're good to go to the movies later that evening! You can also wear it with a basic tank top and a long cardigan for a cool and casual look.
It has (almost) everything you can ever wish in a skirt, and that's why I consider a pencil skirt to be one of your most important wardrobe essentials.
How to Buy a Pencil SkirtNow before we dive into the styling part - make sure you've reviewed my fashion advice on how to select a skirt that looks good with your body figure and your personal style. I'll take you from how to build a solid skirt drawer to selecting the best hem length.
More fashion advice & styling tips:
Back to Top
How Do You Wear a Pencil Skirt?It suits most body shapes. However, if you have a Pear or Hourglass shape you must be careful with how you style it for formal occasions because of the tapered hemline. It can really, reaaaally accentuate your curves. Just take a look at Beyoncé ;-)
Courtesy of Steve Sands/Bauer Griffin
No matter how luscious your curves are it might not be appropriate for the occasion. My tip is to try to balance it out by adding more volume to your upper part with a bright or light-colored blouse and add an extra inch to your shoewear.
Back to Top
Tuck or Untuck?So should you tuck or leave it?
Tucking it in:
The drawback is that it can chop up your torso, making your waist look shorter (not good if you already have a short waist) and make you look stumpy, especially if you're Petite.
But you can still tuck it in without shortening your torso by wearing a top in a similar color as the skirt. Eg. Black skirt, dark blue top. Or white skirt with a light yellow blouse.
If you wear the top untucked, it will give a completely different feel to your skirt outfit.
Keeping it untucked:
Back to Top
How to Multiply Outfits with a Basic Pencil Skirt?The beauty of a basic black pencil skirt is its flexibility in creating multiple outfits and fashion looks. Take a look at how Hayden Panettiere does it with the same black skirt!
Courtesy of Gettyimages, Wireimages and Celebutopia
But you don't have to limit yourself to classy and dressy outfits. By adding the right accessories and mixing it with the right top, you can turn it into a sassy and trendy outfit.
Let's have a look at 10 different pencil skirt outfits that you can put together yourself:
Sexy and SleekPerfect for: Formal to semi-formal office settings, cocktail parties and if you want to exude sex appeal without overdoing it.
1. Dress shirt: A pretty classic and plain look by Jessica Alba. Just tuck in the shirt and top it off with a belt and voila. However, I prefer..
2. Dressy blouse: A cute blouse adds that little extra something. Hayden Panettiere looks classy and feminine at the same time. However, you can swap the plain white with a..
3. Floral top: For a cheerful zest of color during the warmer months, a floral top will spice it up a little. Complete the look with a pair of open toe pumps. If you prefer to look taller and thinner go..
4. Black from top to toe: A very basic monochromatic outfit. But make sure you add something interesting like America Ferrera is doing here; wide belt around the waist and sexy, strappy shoes. You can alternatively play with different textures - such as a lace top and a black croc clutch purse. Or you can add...
5. Light colors: Achieve a light and airy outfit - just take a look at this bright pencil skirt combination on Reese Witherspoon. White and creams will definitely enhance a nice tan.
Now let's take a look at more casual and fun outfits with pencil skirts:
Trendy and Simple
Perfect for: Casual office work, parties, everyday daywear anything casual really.