I'm over 40: What to Avoid and How Do I Dress for My Age?
Demi Moore Looking Fabulous at 47 (INF)
Okay I'm 43 but all of my life I've been told I look younger than my actual age (drove me crazy as a teen but not so bad now). Most people think I look to be in my early to mid 30's (yeah for me).
I love clothes and fashion but I don't want to dress to young for my age but unfortunately while I look 32 to 35 I still know I'm 43 what should I avoid to keep myself from looking like someone dressing to young for their age.
Also, I work in management in a very politically correct corporation in the south. I'm southern, I'm a size 6 or 8 around 5'10 and 152lbs.
The thigh high boots are making my mouth water... Can I wear them? What else should I avoid?
Cyndi, I completely see what you're getting at. The good news is that since you look younger than your age, you can pull off some trends without looking like you're dressing inappropriately.
How to Wear Thigh High Boots
Yes, thigh high boots are amazing and you can wear them despite your age, but you have to keep a couple of things in mind before you try this shoe trend:
- Wear them with tight jeans. Wearing them with short skirts is in my opinion a bit inappropriate for your age, however adding black opaque tights or sheer pantyhose can tone down the trendy and young look!
- Stay away from super shiny or patent leather thigh high boots. Matte-looking leather such as suede is one of your best bets, and gives off a mature and alluring look
- Choose simple styles without any complicated details
Here is an example of what style you should go for:
Dolce Vita Women's Eve Boot
You should check out more of Endless' Dolce Vita range which offers simple over the knee boots suitable for women over 40 (the link above takes you to their site).
Tips on How to Dress Age-Appropriate
This is based on my personal opinion and my observations - it's alright if you disagree with me. Confidence is the key!
If you want to dress appropriately for your age and still look like you have a great sense of style, then you need to focus on:
Dressing femininely without looking too cute. So set tiers and too-frilly details to the side, and go for alluring wrap necklines and dresses and other tailored pieces, with a focus on the wardrobe essentials
The clothes should be a fitted, not tight, so buying clothes with the right fit is crucial. Knowing your body measurements
is important here.
The no-no's apply to the individual (level of confidence, body shape and figure, etc.) but there are some clothes women of your age should be careful with. For me, I admire older women who can dress stylishly without looking tacky or trying to look like a college kid. That's just my view of it. Things to avoid (and that I wouldn't like seeing my own mother wear) are:
- Skinny leg jeans - instead opt bootcut, flare and wide leg jeans. An exception would be if you are petite/skinny or have a great body. But in this case, it's very important to tone down on everything else. Cropped boyfriend jeans can also suit your age as long as they're simple and don't have too many shreds and rips
- Mini skirts and shorts. Knee length and just above the knee are good. If you have great legs, take the hem a bit up but keep your top a bit more covered and classy
- Fringes (as in Minnetonka boots)
- Crop tops and sweaters (the ones that show off your belly). Ok to wear when exercising or out tanning. I don't care if a woman's abs are toned and sculpted, it looks inappropriate. Cut offs are fine but then your body has to be smacking great and confidence and personality have to match.
- Wearing clothes that don't flatter your current body shape.
August 2011 Update: I removed some of the no no's because I found the list restrictive. BUT whatever you choose to wear, make sure you keep it balanced and toned down.
Stylish Dressed Celebs in their 40s
Here are examples of celebrities over 40 whose style you might want to research:
Brooke Shields (WENN)
Christy Turlington (Vogue UK)
Demi Moore (Celebutopia)
Sara Jessica Parker
I highly recommend this link : Fabulous After 40
for more tips on dressing your age. They focus on inspiring women over 40 to have fun with fashion as well as keeping it at an appropriate level.
Hope this helps!
Products you may be interested in: