Fall Winter Fashion Trends
"Your Closet's Fall and Winter Fashion Essentials
- F/W fashion trends that never go out of style"
I love the Fall/Winter Fashion Trends. I don't know about you but there is something about Fall that makes me look forward for the Summer to end. After months of sweat, heat and late summer nights - it's nice to just wrap yourself in layers and knits, and enjoy the new lush season with sexy boots and sensuous colors such as black, purples and reds :-)
Together we're going to take a look at these items - the Trendessentials for Fall & Winter that stand the test of time and make a come-back on the fashion scene season after season, and they never get outdated! These essentials are what you would want to spend most of your F/W closet budget on.
Transition from Winter to Spring
However, compared to the Spring and Summer Fashion Trends Essentials, most of the F/W Essentials are a tad complicated to implement in the winter-spring transition. Most of the clothes and details are just too carnal and dark for the light and happy summer season!
But if you've got the F/W basics right (simple in style, detail and color) you'll find it easier to pair them with your S/S clothes.
Here is an example:
Take your winter boots and black tights with a white tank top, and last year's summer coral shorts and cotton cardigan.
How to Shop for Fall Winter Fashion Trends Essentials
Let's first look at how we can shop the F/W essentials with strategy:
- Know how you want to update your wardrobe by creating a Wardrobe Plan
- Secure the clothes in neutrals (black, greys, dark browns, olive green, etc.) first before buying them in lush winter colors that may be harder to match the next season. If you want to save money, focus on adding color and trendy accessories to the basic neutrals.
- Don't be afraid to buy clothes in bright and a tad difficult to mix and match color. As long as you know that the colors that can be recycled next fall. If not and you're on a tight budget, don't spend too much money on them! Souvenir print knit cardigans aren't basic but they're fun to layer with your tees.
- Your most expensive Fall/Winter fashion trends essentials should be the pieces that you’re going to wear daily, such as coat, jackets, jeans, pants and shoes. Also spend more time on finding the best quality for these items.
- If you live in a country where the climate is very much warm and mild throughout the year, spend most of your money on the accessories (belts, jewelry and bags), Fall and Winter'ish details such as black lace and deep colors.
Now let's get ready to prep up your closet for the gloomy but cozy days!
Secure the basic Wardrobe Essentials along with these Fall/Winter indispensables and you and your closet will be close for many years to come :-)
Note: The point is not to buy everything on the list, but rather pinpoint the pieces that never go out of style and give you ideas on how to build your wardrobe for the season. They're also items you can splurge on without feeling guilty!
Back to Top
Fall/Winter Fashion Trends Essentials: Clothes
You can't live without these in the cold:
Save money by experimenting with how many of these timeless F/W pieces you can combine together into several outfits.
Also take the S/S fashion trends essentials into account! For example: City shorts (S/S)+ knit sweaters (F/W) + opaque tights (F/W) , city shorts (S/S) + white dress shirt (F/W) + knit vest.
Check out more ideas in Outfit Ideas-section.
Back to Top
Fall/Winter Fashion Trends Essentials: Accessories
Your closet accessory splurges and must-haves are:
- Wide and skinny belts (your Fall/Winter closet is primed for waist cinching silhouettes!)
- Cozy knit scarves
- Pashmina scarves
- Leopard-anything - leopard scarf, leopard ballerina flats, etc.
- Knee high riding boots
- Ankle booties
- Flat slouch boots
- Tights (a must for covering legs in a dress when it's cold)
- Leather tote bags
- Statement jewelry for adding some drama and an unexpected twist in the cold and gray weather
- Gold and silver jewelry, especially the chunky styles
- Knit hats, such as berets and beanies
Secure these in neutrals to help balance out and tone down a trendy outfit – and then get them in timeless fall winter colors (purple, reds, deep orange, hot pink, electric blue, etc.) so that you can spruce up your plain basics.
Another tip: A belt wrapped around a loose knit sweater creates a dramatic and feminine silhouette, and it can also add a chic flair to a knit dress.
Back to Top
Fall/Winter Fashion Trends Essentials: Fabrics and Textures
You can never go wrong with:
- Black lace
- Wool/tweed/twill (If you live in a cold climate, put chunks of your F/W closet update budget into this)
- Dark colored denim
- Leather, leather, leather (eg. distressed, patent/shiny, textured, etc.)
- .. as well as satin and silk
Styling tip: Avoid combining too many fabrics and textures in one.
Keep it luxuriously chic with two, maximum three or strategically wear one texture as a focal point and build around this.
However if you're planning on wearing a head-to-toe outfit in black, up the max or more to give your look interest.
Back to Top
Fall/Winter Fashion Trends Essentials: Prints
Add some chic luxe to your closet with:
- Plaid and tartan
- Animal (leopard, zebra, snake)
- Large floral and grandma floral
Styling tip: Build your outfit around one of the prints - or mix navy stripes against Fall'ish leopard print.
Navy stripes blue and white, and leopard print's brown and black are neutrals and can be worn together!
Back to Top
Fall/Winter Fashion Trends Essentials: Colors
Look alluring in:
- Purple and plums
- Mustard yellow
- Deep browns
- Blue-based reds such as raspberry and wine red
- Dark greens
- Dark (bold) blues
- Deep orange (eg. terracotta)
Styling tip: Wear these as accents or as a focal point to a neutral outfit, or use two bright and bold colors to color block your outfit :-) Also have fun with these as eye makeup!
A lot of the Fall & Winter fashion trends colors are mostly suited for cool and/or deep coloring (Winter). So if you're warm-toned (Autumn, Spring) it helps to warm up a cool color with a neutral such as gold or with any of your personal neutrals.
Another alternative is to stick to the colors from your personal color palette, and rather add the cool and vivid Fall and Winter colors as accents, like for example a bag, belt or shoes.
If you're not into bold colors (eg. You're a Summer with a pastel based color palette) then wear your colors along with the F/W neutrals such as greys, deep blues and black. If they're still a bit too strong for your coloring, wear them as pants or skirt.
Click here to learn more about how to find and wear your best colors
Back to Top
Latest Fall and Winter Fashion Trends!
More Shopping & Chic Inspiration at the TCF Blog:
Also check out the Style Makeover Shop!
Back to Top
Return to Guide to Buying & Wearing Current Fashion Trends
Leave Fall & Winter Fashion Trends & Closet Essentials and Return to Homepage